Module MAU11404: Techniques for Theoretical Physics
- Credit weighting (ECTS)
- 5 credits
- Semester/term taught
- Hilary term 2019-20
- Prof Sinead Ryan
- Learning Outcomes
On successful completion of this module, students will be able to:
- Operate with scalars, vectors and tensors and apply these in relevant theoretical physics domains.
- Solve homogeneous and non-homogeneous first and second order ordinary differential equations with constant coefficients;
- Determine series solutions (including Frobenius method) of first and second order ordinary differential equations with non-constant coefficients;
- Apply numerical methods to the solution of differential equations.
- Apply their knowledge in mathematical and physical domains where relevant;
- Module Content
- Scalar, vector and tensor algebra;
- Ordinary Differential Equations – with constant and non-constant coefficients.
- Numerical methods – practical solutions and numerical analysis.
- Module Prerequisite
- MAU11201 Single Variable Calculus
- Assessment Detail
This module will be examined in a 2-hour examination in Trinity term. Continuous
assessment will contribute 30% to the final grade for the module at the annual examination
session. Re-assessments if required will consist of 100% exam.
11 weeks, 3 lectures including tutorials per week